Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Our dad ... as observed by a stranger

Tonight I was with mom and dad as we walked down University Avenue to go see the pictures from our family photo shoot at Justin Hackworth's studio. Wednesdays are my night to eat dinner with them so I told dad we should go to the Black Sheep after we reviewed the photos. Black Sheep is a very delicious, new, fancy restaurant downtown that dad loves.

As we met with Justin, mom started getting a bit agitated and was acting up so I thought we had better go somewhere a little less busy, a little less fancy and that would take less time. I suggested that we go to Gandolfos, the little underground sandwich shop on our block. He agreed. As we walked in it seemed that the man greeted dad by name but I didn't hear clearly, so I wasn't sure. We ordered our food, got our drinks and sat down.

When our sandwiches were ready I jumped up to grab them and the man paused as he handed them to me and asked if those were my parents sitting over there. I said that they were and he said, "I have to tell you this. You parents come in here every week and a couple of weeks ago I cried for about 30 minutes after observing them interact. Your dad was so so kind and so patient with your mom. I've never seen anything like it. I don't even know them but I know he is a really good man. I just thought you should know that." My eyes were watering and I nodded because I do know that but to have a complete stranger recognize that and be so touched really got me.

I didn't mention it to dad and he didn't notice that I had started to get teary. After awhile, as we were eating, dad told me he liked coming in to Gandolfos when that guy was there because he really loaded up his Reuben sandwich.

5 comments:

CamE said...

Holy roller coaster. I was tearing up too, and then that last part made me laugh. Nice pacing, great reveal!

MediocreMama said...

Thanks for sharing. We are all so lucky to have their example of true, Christlike love for each other.

Unknown said...

Thanks Katy always good to hear those things.

Ann Dee said...

I love Dad and I love Mom. And good writing katy, cam is right.

Leslie said...

I had a similar experience when I went with them to the dentist's office. They were treated with such respect and kindness by everyone there. It was really great to see.