Thursday, July 5, 2007

1460 Apple Avenue

377-9083 How many of you remember that phone number? That's our old Oak lane phone number. But, how many of you remember the Apple avenue number? 377-2629.

What else do I remember about the apple ave house? Here's my list:
  • cool laundry chute from upstairs
  • game carpet downstairs
  • weird iron fence with gate around the staircase (with the special feature of being able to slam the gate latch through Joe's door if Sandy got mad enough at him).
  • funky metallic-blue pull down blinds on all the west-side upstairs windows
  • a weird front door that seemed like it was on the side of the house
  • back yard had pretty good baseball dimensions

Things that happened there that i remember:

  • Deer jumped over the fence and didn't know how to get out
  • i remember when dad went through a photography phase and took some cool shots of baby katy on the tramp with a chalk board-thing background
  • Rhiny (sp?) Leichty deer meat neighborhood stew eating that was pretty nasty but very memorable
  • feeding his horses
  • throwing snowballs at cars from the balcony
  • Lots of "Dice" rehearsals downstairs (Joe played bass)
  • 1 awesome "Dice" concert in the back yard with bottle rockets and everything
  • Tito lived there for a little while until, according to mom, he "went to live with a farmer on a big ranch where he could run around more." (I believed this until I was about 25 when I finally figured it out.)

5 comments:

Katy said...

I have very vague memories of Apple Avenue - I do remember the game carpet. I remember fighting with mom cause I thought I was too old for naps. I also remember playing with Kathryn Hillam, Carrie Warner and Jenny Oaks. Oh and I do remember Rhiny's horses - beyond that, nothing. I was just too little.

Karen said...

Who remembers these phone numbers:
321-6465??? 969-9899??? 373-5437???

sam94 said...

Karen, I know those numbers. The first one is your old boyfriend Dale who wanted to take the boys(me &Dan) out for a day of fun. We went swimming. He took us down to the cheap motels on University Ave. Me and Dan would swim in the stupid little pool with no toys, no divingboard or slide while He would try to kiss karen on the pool chairs. Then we would get kicked out and he would say "jump in the back of the truck, I know the manager at the next place". Then we would get kicked out of that pool and so on and so on. Do you want me to tell who the other numbers are, Karen? His name might not have been Dale, but that is a true story.

sam94 said...

My memories of Apple Ave are, playing baseball and freaking out when we hit HR's into the Skousen's garden. Even worse when the freaky, mysterious people moved into the Skousen house. Nevin Skousen cut the facemask off a Colts helmet and told me it was a race car helmet so I wuold side my bike down apple with no brakes. Chrissy Morrell and Jay Morgan and I had a kissing club in a window well. I was too scared to go in, so Jay kissed her over and over. Chrissy died a year later of cancer. Leslie left sewing pins all over in the downstairs shag carpet, so if you didn't wear shoes you would get bloody feet. Awesome neighborhood games of kick the can, I would bounce balls off the garage for hours. Mom letting me stay home from school for world series games and would bounce a tennis ball off the back door in the family room with every pitch. Blair and Chase parker and the marathons. Going to the field house running with Dad. Dan and I at the b-ball court across the street. Milo Moody. and the 4th of July at Kiwanis Park.

Dan said...

if you bounced a ball off the garage and missed it, forget about it. It was all the way down apple and into the pavilion at kiwanis park.