Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kitchen rug, please

I wanted to interview mom today but she was determined to go buy a rug for under the sink. And I said, "Where?" and she said, "There are a couple of good places just around the corner."
I said, "Name them."
And she said, "Well, there's a fabric store and a dry goods store."
"Okay," I said. "But you need a rug."
"I'll find something" she said. And then she packed up her purse and said, "I'll see you in a few minutes.

Mom read at the Bean Museum today. Van and I go with her every Wednesday. Today she was calm and beautiful. Have you ever looked at Mom? She's beautiful. She was wearing black capri pants and a black blouse that has red and yellow and orange squares on it. The best part about that blouse was when she made all the kids raise their hands to the sky . . . as high as they could . . . higher than hers . . . when she had them do that, her garments showed.
But she didn't care.
She made them clap.
Make a funny face.
Stomp their feet.
Swish their legs.
And sing the ABCs along with her.
It felt good to be there. I admit sometimes I get nervous for her because some of the kids don't listen or sometimes they start pulling each others' hair. I try to make them listen by laughing really loud at the story.
I've even made a few comments like, "That's really scary" when she showed a picture of an alligator. A few of the kids gave me a "duh" face or maybe it was a "why do you keep talking face" and I realized that I didn't need to worry about Mom. She was in control.
Today this kid named George got really excited because there was a Giraffe named George in the story. "Hey, my name is George," he said. Mom smiled and said, "Goody goody." And then he said, "My dad's named George and my grandpa is named George." Mom listened very carefully and then said, "Well, you've got a famous name" and then kept on reading.
After she finished, three kids asked their Mom's why story time was over. "I want to hear more stories," they said.
"I know," she replied. "We'll have to come on time next week so we can hear more."
Mom smiled and said, "I'm so glad you could come."

Mom always says, "you don't have to pick me up. It's so far." And it's true, sometimes we have to rush out the door after Van's nap and my hair looks like a fur ball (but that's nothing new) and maybe Van's clothes have banana on them, but it's always worth it when we get there. If you guys can, you should come. It's Wednesdays at 11:00 at the Bean Museum. Afterwards you can look at stuffed dead animals.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I think its time to take Mom on a day trip to IKEA. She will have plenty of options(for rugs), plenty of exercise, and plenty of Swedish meatballs should they strike her fancy.

MediocreMama said...

Are grandchildren allowed to comment?

MediocreMama said...

Are grandchildren allowed to post? I'll wait for a response before I proceed...

Ann Dee said...

Of course. You can do both. I'll send you an invite.

Katy said...

FYI - Mom has officially quit reading at the Bean Museum. I'm looking for a replacement.

Katy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.