Monday, February 18, 2013

Cumberland Lodge


Cumberland Lodge Larry Knight



Cumberland Lodge is a 17th-century country house. It is located in Windsor great Park about 3 1/2 miles from the town of Windsor, UK. Windsor is the site of Windsor Castle the principal residence of Queen Elizabeth. It is surrounded by lush gardens and groves of trees. It used to be the home of royalty, but it now is used for conferences and retreats. Located in the same area of the Park are a few residences, the Royal Chapel, and the  Royal Lodge––all. these places are connected by paths that wind through forests and lush meadows. Most of the park is reserved as a royal forest. The Royal family uses it for relaxation and hunting. A series of narrow paved roadways also connect Cumberland Lodge, with the other buildings in the park.

 After World II the Lodge was donated by royalty to provide a retreat for college students to discuss the ethical and moral issues of the day with their teachers and knowledgeable speakers. The donation was motivated by the belief that part of the responsibility for the disaster of World War II was that the German universities failed to give their students a foundation of moral responsibility. My friend, Alan Michette, was in charge of a yearly retreat for science students from King’s College London to participate in one of these retreats. This year they were having a conference on science and religion. Alan asked me to lead a discussion on Mormonism.

On Sunday we had a break that allowed us to attend church at the Royal Chapel where the queen often worshipped.. The Royal Chapel was about a mile and a half walk through the forests and meadows of the Park. We had to submit our passports on Saturday night and we were subject to search. It wasn’t revealed whether the queen would be there, but there was always a chance. I didn’t pass up the opportunity.

The Royal Chapel was a small version of the ornate chapels that are scattered throughout England. It reminded me of the chapel at King’s College Cambridge. It held probably no more than 40 or 50 people. There were two rows of pews and then off to  right of the pulpit was a box that was covered with curtains. This was the Queens box. It was impossible to see whether she was there or not during the service. I sat on the back row near the Isle. My wife always made me sit in the back so I didn’t block somebody’s view. After the service I quickly got up and walked out the door and there was the Queen with Prince Charles standing to greet the people as they came out. I just stood there. I waited till the rest of my group came and were ready to leave. Most people came out and bowed a little bit or curtsied. Finally Prince Charles and the Queen climbed into a black Landrover. The Prince took the wheel and they drove away. 

I thought, “They are much smaller than I had judged by their pictures.”

So I went to London to not to see the Queen but I did.

No comments: