Tuesday, February 5, 2013

homework


My grandfather,  Edwin Dee Olpin started a mortuary business in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He was a hard-working farmer who decided Pleasant Grove needed a mortician. He was upset because the Anderson’s in American Fork were taking care of all of the deaths in Pleasant Grove. So he ordered  a case of embalming fluid from a catalog. He read the instructions on the bottle and started embalming the people who died in Pleasant Grove. Thus began the family business. My father grew up helping his father with the farm and with the mortuary.

My grandfather Olpin and both my grandparents on my mother’s side, Joseph Hiram Joseph and Catherine Elizabeth Griffith died before I was born. Grandfather Joseph was killed in a mining accident in Minersville, Utah near Beaver, Utah in 1907. My mother was just eight years old at the time. They lived in Adamsville, a small farming town also near Beaver. He left a widow and seven children ages 14 to 6. 

The only grandparent I knew was grandma Inez--Inez Melissa Robison.

Grandma Inez was a little, busy, quick moving lady. She had endless energy. She ran all day. She had false teeth that were not fitted properly. Those teeth clacking are the first thing that comes to mind  when I think of her. She lived right across the street from us. The street was State Street. It was the main highway between Salt Lake City and California when we lived there. Our home which was a combination mortuary and residents was on the west side of State Street. We lived on a few acres which also served as a small farm. We had cows, chickens and a garden.

I could “drop in” to see grandma any time—day or night—and feel welcome and treasured I visited  often. She came to our house almost every day finding things to do to help out. She 
came to our home after Sunday meeting.  She loved helping out with our family of six
children whenever she could figure out a way to help.  I never saw/heard her cry.
One Summer evening she crossed the highway as usual to spend some time with us and help put us to bed.  After visiting on our front porch she started walking toward her home in her quick little gait.  
There was honking, screeching of brakes and thump  thump.  She was gone instantly.  My parents wouldn’t let us leave our front porch. In fact my mother forced us to remain inside our house.  It was a terrible experience—I relive the sounds of those two terrible thumps.
Grandma wanted us to develop our talents.  She sat beside me on the piano 
bench for as long as I could stand to play.  She was a fabulous cook.  She put 
ingredients together whenever—whatever, and it was delicious.  Everyone loved her.
 She was my size and shape.  It makes me happy to remember that.

I loved her dearly.

8 comments:

DanK said...

Awesome stuff! Wasn't her grandpa Edwin Dee and her dad Lewis Edwin? I had heard most of that stuff, but I didn't remember that g'pa Joseph died in a mining accident and that Mom and her siblings were out on the front porch when Inez got hit by a truck. That's a pretty cool way to go. Sad for everyone else though.

Ann Dee said...

I love the clacking detail. I didn't know about that. And why is that a cool way to go, Dan? Quick?

MediocreMama said...

I didnt know that was why he became a mortician. Keep the stories coming.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. and interesting. I didn't really know any of these things. I like hearing about both you and grandma's childhoods. I'm sure I've heard the stories, but I guess I've forgotten...all of them. I'm glad you are documenting some. So we can remember.

DanK said...

It's cool because I remember mom telling that story and she thought it was perfect for her personality. She was always on the go and probably didn't want to be late for something so didn't have time to see if a truck was coming.

kklowell said...

I love this so much Dad. It's amazing how you can write in her voice. I hear her clearly in this piece.

I've been thinking so much lately how mom is still sacrificing for us. She is going through all this as we observe, learn to serve selflessly (by you of course), our children are watching and learning, and we are all growing. As uncomfortable as it is, we are learning. Learning things about life that would be hard to understand had we not witnessed this ordeal.

I miss Mom. I love her so much. I'm so proud of her for going through this like a trooper.

And you Dad. You're just the best. I love you too. What an example you are to us all.

Joekey said...

Nice story well done. I too had heard this story but getting more details is great.

Joekey said...

Nice story well done. I too had heard this story but getting more details is great.