Friday, September 28, 2007

How I Made A Hole In One - by Dan Knight

Well, it all happened yesterday, September 27, 2007 at around 2:45pm. A group of my buddies were out at Sleepy Ridge, the new golf course in Orem to celebrate my friend Craig's birthday. I was playing like crap (pardon the near french) but just having fun hanging with the guys. On hole number 12 I finally got my first par of the day (to show you how badly I was playing). Then, I parred again on 13. Then we got to number 14, a 154 yard par 3 hole. I stepped up first with my 7-iron and hit what felt like a really really good shot. It went very high and seemed to be heading fairly close to the flag. However, it was a really bright day and with the glare and all none of us could really make out where it ended up.

My Friend Jim said, "that is very tight to the hole." I replied, "yeah, but it's never quite as close as you think once you get up to the green." We all nodded our heads in agreement. Usually the golf gods give you hope only to dash them when you learn the reality.

So then Jim gets up there and knocks a good shot up on the green as well. Then Jeremy hits one a little awry almost killing a guy in the fairway to the left of us. We get a good giggle and head off in our carts toward the green.

At the green Jim and I are only seeing his ball so I start to think pessimistically. I said to Jim, "see, it's never as close as you think. It must have taken a weird bounce and rolled off the green somewhere." Then Jim noticed a ball mark about 10 feet in front of and to the right of the hole. He said, "let's check the hole." We both literally tip-toed up to the hole. I was feeling super nervous. Then there it was sitting right in the stinking hole! Jim hugged me and lifted me up. I threw my putter and wedge into the air (I had my wedge in my hand because I was sure I was going to have to chip up on to the green). We screamed as loud as we could for the other foursomes in our group who were all ahead of us. It was a fun time.

Here's a little publicity that came from it:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695213969,00.html

Here's the scorecard. It's kinda hard to see, but look at the score on hole #14.










On the next hole Jim noticed that we had randomly hopped on this cart at the beginning of the round.

6 comments:

Sand said...

I haven't read this yet

Sand said...

Congrats!

Ann Dee said...

Dan, that's really cool. I don't know how to golf.

Karen said...

Now, can you get a hole in two??? That's the question!

sam94 said...

good job Dan. That really is cool.

Katy said...

I was so happy for you that I blogged about it on my blog.