Friday, June 8, 2007

Karen: I remember being so mad because Dad took us to the neighbors because Mom was at the hospital having Joe. And the lady babysitting us was telling us that dad was so excited he was walking three inches off the floor because it was a boy--that dad was so glad it was a boy. And I was so mad. What's wrong with girls.
Mom: Every place we've been there's been at least two or three Mormon families that we've been friends with.
Karen: There was a big event in Escondido village when that one family got a color TV and she served cream puffs. It was Ream. El Ream. It was the biggest night and it was the wonderful world of Disney and there were fireworks, etc.

A: Tell about that swim meet.
D: In Los Altos. We entered a Los Altos family swimming meet. Some pool in Los Altos. It was after we moved. And anyway, we did really well in it. There was individual events and so on and our family was the best of course. I'd been out of town for part of the time before the meet and I guess they called before the meet and wanted to know what everyone was going to swim. And someone entered me into two events without me knowing.
M: Laughing.
D: It was the medley relay family one and an individual father freestyle.
M: Who do you think entered him?
D: you did.
M: No.
D: yes. But anyway, we were winning as a family but then they said, "Okay it's time for the father's individual freestyle" and they called my name. I was shocked. I acted like I didn't hear. I heard my name again. I was clear on the other side of the pool with a couple of the kids and I just ignored it. There was no way I was going to swim. They announced my name a couple of times and then they said, "well, I guess he isn't here." That's when my kids betrayed me. They started yelling "He's right here. Here he is!" And they were all pointing at me. I said "no, no. I'm not doing it." but everyone said "we'll wait." I kept saying, "Please, no. I dont' even have my suit on."So i went and put on my swimsuit and all the other guys are all muscuclar in their speedos and tan and here i come out in my trunks all white.
Karen: All my friends were like, your dad is blue.
D: So I jumped in and I was a lenght of the pool behind everyone all splashing.
A: why didn't beat everyone?
D: I didn't know how to swim. I learned how to swim when I was an adult and I wasn't very good. Our kids were really good.
M: we saw to it that our kids were good. We were a california family. You have to swim.
D: Anyway, that's the story. Everyone had a good time.
M: Oh my gosh, how did we get through all those years, all those kids, all those activities.
A: Didn't you go swimming with all the stanford guys?
D: I did occasionally.
K: Yeah, naked.
D: I did sometimes.
K: He had a back problem so he was supposed to lie on the floor and when he did, we'd all jump on him.
A: Mom, what would you do all day?
M: Are you kidding? How many children did I have? I sewed the clothes, washed the clothes.
D; she did substitute teaching. She taught at a school on el camino and there was black kid in the class that got smart with her and she grabbed him by ear and took him to the principal.
A: Well, like would you go to t he park every day?
D; There were play things.
K: Mom was always the primary president or the RS president. Really active and busy with the church. And she had cute girls who liked her. Except remember when that Tuft girl stuck her tongue out at you?
M: No.
K: You were mad for weeks. You also used to go swim laps at the pool.
A: Where were the kids?
K: We'd all go the pool and then they'd have adult swim for ten minutes. All the kids had to get out and they'd do laps.
M: It was really fun because all our friends would be there and we'd just hang out and siwm
K: And then when the snack bar opened, we'd get all kinds of stuff. Do you remember dad?
D: It's new to me. I knew the Eikler but I didn't know you guys were eating and playing.
M: Karen was a powerful swimmer.
D; They were all great but she was amazing at the butterfly.
K: I had to do it because the coach just threw me into it right before a race.
M; i Remember that.
D: I remember they had a coed relay in their meets and karen would always do the butterfly and she'd always beat the boy.
M; She'd always get them ahead.
A: All the kids were good until you moved to Utah.
D: Well, Sam swam. We swam here for awhile. Didn't yo learn to swim?
A: I was in the Provo Pikes but I wasn't very good.
D: I think katy can swim.
A: Katy got hit by a car on her way to swim team.

4 comments:

Dan said...

i was on the provo pikes and did not enjoy it. I hated getting up really early to go to swim meets, but i liked it that we got to eat raw jello powder. The only other thing i liked was that after the meets we usually threw out swim team coach into the water with his clothes on. That was a hoot.

sam94 said...

I know that since I came later in the family my swimming prowess went mostly unnoticed. However, I was High Point every year that I swam. I could still beat anyone in the family. I hope I don't sound too arrogant. You know me, Dan, Katy, and Ann Dee have some awesome memories too. Dad used to take us to the Richards Building Pool. They even gave us cool swimmer suits to wear. Dad always looked smooth. I was proud to be his son.

Ann Dee said...

I hated wearing those suits but I enjoyed sneaking in the sauna.

Katy said...

I think that is the first time I saw a naked lady - in the Richards Building locker room