Wednesday, May 30, 2007

About Dad's Dad and Mom

Mom: Well your mother told me that your parents kissed under the stars.
Ann Dee: what?
D: I don't know if they did that. They probably camped a lot.
A: Why would they camp a lot.
D: They lived in Idaho.
M: and no money and everybody went camping.
D: They met at Idaho State College in Pocatello when they were both getting their teaching credential.
A: Did they get married right away?
D: I don't know. I think they got married when they got out of school. They ended up going to a little town/village called Thomas. It was a village just west of Blackfoot Idaho and just east of them was a place called Riverside. And west of them was Rockford Idaho which is where they lived and my father's parents also lived there. My grandfather had a farm there and my father built a log cabin on the lot next door to them.
A: So they lived next door to his parents.
D:Yeah. And they didn't have children for a long time but finally when my dad was about 26 years old and my dad was 30 years old they had me. They were living in that log cabin but I was born in the Pocatello ID hospital. And they taught in a two man school house. First grade to eighth grade. Dad was the principal and Mom was a teacher. I think she taught in Malad for awhile--and Elkhorn. She taught her brothers and sisters and she didn't like it. and my father died after I was about a year and a half old. And they are buried in the cemetery that is called the riverside Thomas cemetery and it's right across from Snake River High school.
A: Are the houses still there?
D: No. But I know where they were. There's an elementary school where their houses were. The farm has obviously been taken over by a big corporate farm. Leslie and Terry said they went there and they couldn't find the grave and they asked the sexton and they said, oh yeah, the school teachers and they knew right where they were. and Karen said when we went to bury mom they all said, oh, I wondered what happened to her. So obviously the community all knew about them. He died so young and they all remembered.
A: We should have a family reunion out there. That's a really good idea I just had.
D: We should.
a: Is it close to Lava Hot Springs?
D: Lava hot springs is in between. We should go there. I have a cousin who lives there.

If anyone wants to go camping in Idaho and then go see where Dad sort of grew up, please reply here.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I'd like to go but I'd like to sleep in a bed